Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Gardening fun!

The Hillbilly Housewife is talking about gardening on her blog this week. I'm really interested in starting a vegetable garden and I even have a nice spot picked out on the north side of my house. Growing my own food would definitely start cutting down on some produce costs at the grocery store. I'm wary to start though because we're getting ready to start trying for baby #2 and the books and doctors now warn against gardening for fear of getting toxoplasmosis.

I have done some preliminary research on the subject and found some helpful sites:

The Garden Helper

The Helpful Gardener

Home-Vegetable Garden

Anyway, I'm thinking that when I do start my garden I will do a raised bed. That way there's no digging and treating the ground for ph and such. Info on raised bed gardening here.

In these times, it may be a good idea for anyone who is able to start planting their own food. As I said above, it's a money saver and having your own fresh fruits and veggies right outside your door should encourage you to start eating healthier.

Healthier Eating + Money Saved = WIN!!!

1 comment:

Spaceofgrace said...

Gardening and babies! Very cool... :) We made a garden a few years ago and it cost us a mint! But we had to do quite a bit of work even to have a location suitable. We've since moved and I'm excited to just get started! Seeds and new life - always exciting this time of year. :-)
Good to meet you.